[fpc-pascal] helpsystem, some numbers

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Tue Oct 28 15:34:35 CET 2008

On Tue, Oct 28, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:

> You do have to decompress everything in the archive coming before it (but
> nothing forces you, or TC, to store the decompressed but undesired data to
> disk, obviously).

That would normally make sense and how I understand it with .tar.gz
files for example, but when using TC to browse the RTL HTML archive
(original 38MB of data) and view a single file, it's instantly open.
Compare that time to extracting the whole archive which takes much
longer or when viewing a browsing a .tar.gz file.  I know you are
never supposed to assume, but I assumed that because there is such a
*huge* difference in speed when only viewing a single file, then 7-zip
must support extracting a single file without unpacking what comes
before it for solid archives (or it's just very very efficient).

Anyway, I'll investigate this further so I don't have to make
assumptions...  ;-)

Regards,
  - Graeme -