[fpc-pascal] Spreadsheet library/unit?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri Oct 17 04:19:06 CEST 2008

On Fri, Oct 17, 2008 at 12:03 AM, Francisco Reyes
<lists at stringsutils.com> wrote:
> What is the purpose of the excel2utils file?

This unit was the very first version of fpspreadsheet. It is
completely obsolete, and I just kept it in the website because I still
haven't written docs for the new version. I would recommend against
using it. Use the code in subversion instead.

> I was able to run the sample on the site and create a test.xls.
> However, when I tried the examples/excel5demo/excel5demo.lpr one I got it to
> compile and it runs without error, but no file is created.

In which operating system did you run it? Excel 5 needs the generation
of a OLE documented. I read the specs and considered writing a OLE
writer, but I needed support only for Windows and I was out of time,
so I just called the OLE dll, which means that it only works in
Windows. Or this is what happens as far as I remember.

> Given that I need sheets I pretty much need the xlsbiff5 format and not the
> simple 2.1 method on the website.. Is that a true statement?

Yes, this is a true statement. OOXML and OpenDocument would also work,
but you will need to improve support for them in fpspreadsheet.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho