[fpc-pascal] simpleipc

Brad Campbell brad at wasp.net.au
Thu Oct 16 03:46:33 CEST 2008

G'day all,

I've been having a play with simpleipc.pp for trying to do cross-platform single instance detection.

Ordinarily it behaves perfectly, but I just noticed on Linux that it all comes crashing down if the
server application crashes without removing the pipe.

I then have to manually remove the pipe to be able to start the server again.

Has anyone come up against this, or similar previously?
I'm somewhat stumped as to how to go about solving this as I can't find a reliable way of detecting
a listener on the end of the pipe.

I figure the best way to go about it is to move from pipes to unix sockets, but this then starts to
get considerably more complex.

Brad
--
Dolphins are so intelligent that within a few weeks they can
train Americans to stand at the edge of the pool and throw them