[fpc-pascal] Spreadsheet library/unit?

Frank Peelo f26p at eircom.net
Sun Oct 5 23:48:26 CEST 2008

Antal wrote:
> You might use the CSV, which can be easily open with Office and to
> generate by your application.
> I am using this way to handle data to/from excel
> It is a plain text file, each row is separated with CRLF (#13#10), each
> cell separated with tab (#9)

errm, surely that should be a comma, not a tab!

> Also, if you'r data has no comma or " then you can use the real CSV,
> because CSV means Comma Separated Values :)

You can use CSV with data which contains commas and quotes. Fields which
contain "dodgy" characters, including commas, quotes, leading and
trailing spaces, must be surrounded by quotes. If a field contains quote
chars, the quote char is doubled:
"one ","two,buckle","""my""","shoe"
first field has a trailing space, second contains a comma (and 2 words),
third is quoted and OpenOffice Calc seems to have quoted the fourth just
for the heck of it.

> But the tab separated one can be easily pasted to/from Excel, by using
> let's say notepad.
> You can experience this, since each Office behaves differently with the CSV.

Truth! But most spreadsheets can handle the above format.

Frank