[fpc-pascal] SysLocale.PriLangID vs Mac OS X localization

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Tue Jun 24 11:06:43 CEST 2008

On 24 Jun 2008, at 09:29, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:

> But for a company that has 'Think different' as a motto the
> insistence on adherence to the rules is ironic :-)

Actually, it makes perfect sense since it's apparently so different
from what you are used to that you consider it a completely outlandish
concept.

> Secondly, all things you mention apply to advanced users only,

Compared to your customers, most Mac users probably are "advanced".
Most certainly not because they are smarter or better, but because the
consistency makes it easier to become advanced (learned skills carry
over much more easily from one application to another). Even my mother
is probably "advanced" in this way, even though she also started out
with simply memorising which icons to click in which order (she really
is everything but a computer person).

> and I dare say to developers only:
>
> I invite you to visit ALL our customers.

I invite you to ask on any number of "regular joe" Mac sites, forums
or mailing lists how important the people there think that it is for a
program to adhere to the standard user interface conventions (except
for games, where total immersion into the game world is often more
important, and simple widgets where you only have a text field and a
button or so).

That said: if people are in front of your application five days out of
seven from 9 to 5, it is indeed probably less important to be
consistent with anything else. The learning curve may be fairly steep,
but that doesn't matter since companies always provide training. Users
may notice the different interface in the beginning but since they're
so often in front of it, it will soon enough blend into the
background. They'll also learn the layout and the automatisms required
to operate the application after a while (no matter how contrived the
interface may be: we even have administrative people at our university
who have learned to be somewhat efficient with our SAP implementation,
which is universally recognised by everyone here as a the most
horrible user interface they have ever used).

This is however quite different from an application which isn't
purchased by some PHB, but by a home user or independent professional
(and traditionally that market has been much bigger than the corporate
one in the Mac world). In that market, blending in and making your
interface as little distinctive as possible is vital to be able to
close the sale in most cases (at least in the Mac market).

Even in the corporate world actually paying attention to user
interface consistencies could probably help the users a lot, but there
it's seldom the users who can decide on what to use. And once they do
get used to your particular interface, it's probably even a
competitive advantage to have a lot of proprietary concepts since
switching to a different application would require significant
retraining.

Jonas