[fpc-pascal] MPL, LGPL rehashed again

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Wed Jun 18 14:59:03 CEST 2008

2008/6/18 Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>:

> If it's plain LGPL and you link it statically, then you have to supply all
> object files of the rest of your program to your customers (when they ask
> for it; and you have to inform them of this right they have, by including a
> copy of the LGPL with your software and referring to it in your licence
> agreement), so they can relink your application with a newer version of that
> library should they wish to do so.
>

> The GPL and (L)GPL only talk about distributing software. Whether you sell
> it, give it away for free, rent it out or ask for a postcard in exchange is
> irrelevant.
>

> MPL is not (modified) LGPL compatible either, so you need a dual license.

Thanks Jonas for you reply... We sent emails to the relevant authors
of the libraries we use to rectify any licensing issues.

Just a minor question regarding the Modified LGPL license used by FPC
and Lazarus.

Below I quoted the Modified LGPL...

"As a special exception, the copyright holders of this library give
you permission to link this library with independent modules to
produce an executable, regardless of the license terms of these
independent modules, and to copy and distribute the resulting
executable under terms of your choice, provided that you also meet,
for each linked independent module, the terms and conditions of the
license of that module. An independent module is a module which is not
derived from or based on this library."

This part I understand and relates to static linking...

" If you modify this library, you may extend this exception to your
version of the library, but you are not obligated to do so. If you do
not wish to do so, delete this
exception statement from your version."

This part I don't quite understand... Could somebody explain this please?

Regards,
 - Graeme -