[fpc-pascal] Re: FPC 2.2.1 on Mac OS X

Karl-Michael Schindler Karl-Michael.Schindler at web.de
Wed Jun 4 08:51:37 CEST 2008

Hi

I only noticed now the discussion on the mailing list about fpc 2.2.1
and lazarus on Mac OS X. As the maintainer of the .info files of fpc
and lazarus I should probably lay out my ideas about the future.

The next step is fpc 2.2.2. It should resolve some of the issues in a
clean way and enable to remove some workarounds as well as serve as a
solid base for a lazarus installation.

When this is settled, I will extend lazarus in the following way:

1) create so-called splitoffs, so there will be separate packages for
lazarus-gtk1, lazarus-aqua and when ready lazarus-gtk2.
Then the user can simply choose the best interface for his situation.
This can be done, whatever the default setting of LCLPLATFORM will be.

2) create double clickable Lazarus applications with links in /
Applications/Fink.

A remaining question is about the code base I will use for lazarus.
The best solution would clearly be that lazarus 0.9.26 comes out
shortly before i am ready and so I could base in on that. If not, I
would submit versions based on plain 0.9.24 as a first step. Depending
on the conditions then, one could consider an intermediate 0.9.25
version.

What is the status of the aqua version? Is 0.9.24 good enough at least
as a start until 0.9.26 is ready or is it absolutely necessary to
include the fixes since 0.9.24?

Best wishes - Michael.