[fpc-pascal] Does Free Pascal generates Java bytecode

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Fri Jul 18 12:27:00 CEST 2008

> this is silly question but I saw that is was an idea posted as feature
> idea. In fact, I'd like to provide some small applications that could be
> downloaded and executed into a client web browser. As I understood, java
> does this through dowload of the corresponding Java bytecode onto the
> client that is then interpreted by the JVM. So is it possible to compile
> a Free Pascal application to a Java bytecode interpretable by the JVM?

The .NET item of the FAQ also mentions Java:
http://www.hu.freepascal.org/faq.var#dotnet

> An acceptable alternative would be to write a desktop application that
> connects to a server-side application or an HTML form. For instance,
> such application shall be able to send a query to a dedicated list of
> public SQL databases.

All is possible of course. Exact details will depend on what choices and
additional requirements of the problem.

> Is there some library to write applications that
> can communicate through the web? Something equivalent to LWP for Perl
> for instance?

I've no idea, but I assume one could write a header to the libwww lib on
which this module is based.

Or one could try to craft something like that using parts that are already
there, there are mime encoders/decoders and HTTP clients in e.g. Indy.
(which in general supports a lot of internet protocols)

But I don't think this is a desirable solution if sb also has control over
the server side. Then one can better work with a dedicated server
application or communicate with a serverside app with e.g. SOAP.