[fpc-pascal] FPC and Mac OS X 10.5

Mattias Gärtner nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de
Wed Jul 16 15:39:56 CEST 2008

Zitat von Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>:

> On 16 Jul 2008, at 14:56, Mattias Gärtner wrote:
>
> > Zitat von Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be>:
> >
> >> Well, if it found units before you did that, you probably had
> >> a .fpc.cfg somewhere in your home directory already.
> >
> > Maybe. I didn't check.
> > I called samplecfg first as normal user and so samplecfg ignored my
> > parameters
> > and wrote the config to my home directory. A strange automatism. I
> > deleted it
> > and ran it again with sudo.
>
> It really is only intended to be run by installers, which is why its
> usage is nowhere documented.

In this case you can call me 'installer'. ;)

> Snapshots are also only intended to be
> installed on top of official releases. On most if not all platforms at
> least some things are missing if you start with just a snapshots (such
> as binutils or a config file).
>
> > But if there was an ~/.fpc.cfg, then it could only be created by
> > 2.2.0 or the
> > 2.2.2rc1 snapshot.
>
> No, samplecfg generates a ~/.fpc.cfg if it cannot create fpc.cfg in
> the designated location.

I meant, that I only installed 2.2.0 and 2.2.2rc1 via a dmg. So these are the
only candidates for running samplecfg.

> > Maybe through the above automatism?
> > But they all used $fpcversion, don't they? If yes, then all fpc
> > versions should
> > create a useful fpc.cfg?
>
> If the basepath in the generated (.)fpc.cfg is correct, yes.

All installations were in /usr/local/lib/fpc.

> >> That issue is documented on the FPC Mac OS X download pages and 2.2.1
> >> starting packages for Mac OS X 10.5.x are are provided there.
> >
> > Where?
> >
> > I did this: drove browser to www.freepascal.org, click on download
> > on the right
> > panel, then Binaries / intel/i386 / Mac OS X, choose as mirror
> > Sourceforge, and
> > there is only the 2.2.0 version.
>
> The problem is that there is no download page with explanations on
> sourceforge (I don't know whether it's even possible to do that). You
> can see it on all of the regular download pages. That release was
> however indeed never uploaded to sourceforge.

On the australian page there is only a small hint at the end of the page about
dwarf debugging.

Mattias