[fpc-pascal] {$R file} support on non-Windows targets

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 08:51:18 CEST 2008

On Wed, Jul 9, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Giulio Bernardi <ugilio at gmail.com> wrote:
>> So I assume we have a cross-platform resource compiler now, so is
>> windres unnecessary? Was pre-processing also implemented?
>
> No. To compile .rc files to .res you still need windres. In general you can
> compile and run it fine on little endian machines, but it doesn't work (at
> least, it didn't work 6 months ago, don't know if newer versions are endian
> safe) on big endian machines.

So is that the technical issue with cross-platform resource compilers?
The endian handling? Or is there some other technical issue? I
remember even Kylix didn't have a resource compiler and couldn't
understand why.  After all, most C/C++ compilers are cross platform
and they seem to have resource compilers, so what is wrong with Object
Pascal compilers...

Sorry if this is dumb, but I obviously don't understand the full issue here...

Regards,
 - Graeme -