[fpc-pascal] Standardization of Modern Pascal

Neil Graham lerc at screamingduck.com
Mon Jul 7 22:58:59 CEST 2008

To add my two cents to this debate.

I have always thought the ideal form of standards (or de facto thereof) came
from benevolent dictators.  Borland did that job well for quite a long time,
a single vision developed well beats the design-by-committee half-compromise
path any day.

The problem only really arose when the benevolent dictator stops being
benevolent. (circa .net).  The next best thing is what Free Pascal provides.
An open architecture is lower to develop due to the additional discussion
required, but it is also immune to taking the wrong path leaving people in
limbo.  Such events just inspire forks.

In the article I wrote at
http://screamingduck.com/Article.php?ArticleID=43&Show=ABCE

I touched upon Free Pascal as an alternative to a standard.  Being open means
that people will never be denied access to the compiler, as long as it
remains compatible with itself, that works for me.  There are a number of
languages out there for which the only implementation is the open source one.

The other problem that I encounter is purely an evangelical one, People assume
pascal is the pascal of old.   I would suggest (perhaps at the time of a
major release) creating a language syntax mode with a unique name.   This
would allow people to call it by name and avoid the confusion that results
from saying 'I wrote it in Pascal'

Delcaring a name for the language and defining it as "what the lastest Free
Pascal does" would serve my purposes adequately.