[fpc-pascal] Standardization of Modern Pascal

ik idokan at gmail.com
Mon Jul 7 11:45:01 CEST 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 12:22 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
<michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> On Mon, 7 Jul 2008, leledumbo wrote:
>

>> Why Modern Pascal isn't standardized? Take a look at its other brothers and
>> sisters, for example C & Fortran. (AFAIK) C has been standardized in 1989
>> and 1999 (there perhaps earlier ones), while Fortran in 60,77,..(I forgot
>> these ones, there are too many),2000,2003(,2005?). Pascal has only 2
>> standards, ISO-7185 (Standard Pascal) in 1990 and 10206 (Extended Pascal) in
>> 1991. Since most todays Pascal programmers use Modern Pascal, I think it's
>> worth to be standardized. At least, those Anti-Pascal community will no
>> longer argue about standard (which I hate very much).
>
> We'll sit around the table with CodeGear and try too cook up something :-)
>
> I don't think that setting a standard will improve the userbase.
> As far as I know, VB is also not 'standardized', nor is the SAP variant
> of Basic or OpenOffice basic. Nevertheless, they are used a lot.

The same goes also to Perl, python, Ruby and PHP. They do not have
standard, but they are used.
I do think there there should be some guidelines regarding modern
Pascal development. But this guidelines will very between each project
and it's goals.
I think that the path of FPC is going to the right direction, while
CodeGear try to make Pascal closer to Java/C#. It seems that the
verity of dialects also contribute for the progress of the language,
while languages such as C lack of such progress IMHO.

> Michael.

my 0.02 cents :)

Ido
--