[fpc-pascal] Complying with LGPL using FPC

Tomas Hajny XHajT03 at mbox.vol.cz
Fri Jul 4 19:53:15 CEST 2008

On Fri, July 4, 2008 18:15, Vladimir Zhirov wrote:

Hi,

> Would you please help me to find out the steps I should follow
> to comply with LGPL if my application is built using FPC
> and uses pascal source code of LGPL'ed library?
>
> Section 4 of LGPL requires to
>
>> d) Do one of the following:
>> 0) Convey the Minimal Corresponding Source under the terms of this
>> License, and the Corresponding Application Code in a form suitable for,
>> and under terms that permit, the user to recombine or relink
>> the Application with a modified version of the Linked Version
>> to produce a modified Combined Work, in the manner specified
>> by section 6 of the GNU GPL for conveying Corresponding Source.
>
> Suppose application and library files are:
>
> project1.pas
> project1.o
> project1.compiled
> lgpled_lib.pas
> lgpled_lib.o
> lgpled_lib.ppu
>
> What files I must make public, and how people are supposed to use them
> in order to relink my application with newer/modified version of the
> library?

I believe that one of the ways would be compiling lgpled_lib.pas into a
shared library/DLL and having it linked to your program dynamically,
another solution would be providing interested users with all the required
object files (*.o), libraries (.a) and a linker script. The linker script
is created and preserved if compiling with -s parameter, all the required
.o and .a files are listed in that script.

Tomas