[fpc-pascal] Unicode filenames

Marc Weustink marc at dommelstein.net
Tue Jul 1 23:52:50 CEST 2008

Mattias Gärtner wrote:
> Zitat von Graeme Geldenhuys <graemeg.lists at gmail.com>:
>
>> 2008/6/30 Mattias Gaertner <nc-gaertnma at netcologne.de>:
>>> Can you test to create a chinese filename in the explorer. For example:
>>>
>>> ±±·½»°.txt
>> I can't create that file in Windows Explorer. I'm using Windows 2000
>> in a VMWare session. I opened explorer. Then copied the filename above
>> to the clipboard from Linux (where Firefox and GMail runs).  The then
>> go to Window VMWare session. Right Click and create now text file.
>> Past the chinese name, which then seems to escape the name.
>
> Maybe that's the way 'explorer' handles unsupported characters in the font.
> Windows has still to go a long way for real unicode.

on XP it is possible. Initially it shows only square boxes since the
font used in the explorer doesn't support chinese. But if I change the
font (=all tahoma) to a code2000 font, it shows 北方话.txt

However creating a file ßΩ≈≠≤≥.txt or a folder ßΩ≈≠≤≥ is possible.
Not all tools can read it. Afais, using A functions this translates to
ß?|?==.txt

>> When I
>> press enter to confirm the name, Windows gives me an error.
>>
>> See the screenshot.
>>   http://opensoft.homeip.net/~graemeg/test.png
>
> Ok. Thanks for trying out. It's not that important. I think it's clear now, that
> windows need the W functions.

Yep

Marc