Summary on Re: [fpc-pascal] Unicode file routines proposal

Marco van de Voort marcov at stack.nl
Tue Jul 1 15:31:27 CEST 2008

> >> So you are going to convert in non utf8 unix?
> >
> > Maybe I should have said "in the native encoding" then. So if the it's a
> > utf-16 unix it will be utf-16.  In principle at least. We will have to see
> > how this fares with the shared character of the unix rtl.
>
> I mean Unixes with iso encoding and not utf-16

In my opinion: no automated support. Simply since the target "encoding"
can't represent all characters. In theory one could throw an exception, but
that would only require to guard all string routines in even more exception
handling, moreover there is not really an alternate path to take then.

So all ansistring to unicode handling must be done by proper conversions
procedures, manually.

And I assume long term, these will die out anyway