[fpc-pascal] Re: FCL-DB/SQLDB docs started

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Wed Jan 23 11:47:13 CET 2008

Op woensdag 23-01-2008 om 10:35 uur [tijdzone +0200], schreef Adrian
Maier:
> On Dec 4, 2007 10:41 AM, Adrian Maier <adrian.maier at gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Dec 3, 2007 2:07 PM, Leonardo M. Ramé <martinrame at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > I like the idea, can you start by creating the section's skeleton?
> >
> > Here is a possible structure of the page.    I'm not familiar yet to
> > working with this
> > lufdoc , that's why i'm putting the skeleton here on the mailing list
> > for the moment.

> GIven that the few information on the subject is spread in tiny places (the
> only comprehensive source of information being the source code...)  it's hard
> for me to understand how some people can actually build applications that
> need to access sql databases.   Probably their Delphi experience helps
> them a lot ,  because the docs surely don't .

The basics of fcl-db are completely compatible with Delphi. I think most
users use their Delphi knowledge. The sqldb-part is very easy if you
understand the rest.

> Are there any people still interested in making it possible to have some real
> docs for sqldb and fcl-db ?

I really would like it if such documentation will arise. But I also
would like to add index-support and some more TClientDataset
functionality.

> If so, let's organize ourselves and see what needs to be done .  I am very
> interested in the subject but I can't do it myself alone :   if I knew enough
> about sqldb I wouldn't be so unhappy about the lack of documentation .

I'm the one who knows the most of sqldb, apart from some parts which
aren't written by me. I would really like to help and eventually I'll
start writing the documentation on my own. but I doubt if I'm the right
person to do that now. But I'm willing to help and answer all questions.

About the structure: I think it's best to use fpdoc to build the
documentation. Just like Delphi does. Then in the descriptions of the
components itself a short description of the whole component can be
given, to explain the basics to new users. From there they can browse
further into the documentation.

So that's a completely different approach then suggested by Lars.

Joost