[fpc-pascal] FreePascal Coding style

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Mon Jan 21 14:23:27 CET 2008

On 21/01/2008, Vinzent Hoefler <JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net> wrote:

> Yes, that's what I figured. But that's wrong. Only legasthenic
> retards[1] put spaces at the inside of parentheses.

Padding can be adjusted in the editor supports ET customization so you
wouldn't see the space.

> To be more clear on the subject: Parentheses are not operators, although
> a lot of people like to treat them so in source code while they miss to
> put the spaces around the real operators.[2]

I know, Lazarus IDE does (or did) that. I had to tweak my editor
settings to get it 'right'.

> And when it reloads, everything "semantic" you put in with the tab
> stops, got lost. Effort wasted, file needs to be reformatted.

Nope, on reopening the file, formatting is exactly like it was the
last time you edited it.
As for slowing you down. Using your code example, you would have had
to type many spaces to align the code. ET would only need one
keystroke.  And as you insert more code in line above or below, all
columns will shift together, whereas using spaces, you would manually
have to realign all your columns. ET would bu much faster it that
case.

Either way, Lazarus (which is my favourite programming editor)
internal editor doesn't support TabStops, so I can't implement ET
anyhow.

Regards,
  - Graeme -