[fpc-pascal] ncurses extra package

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 18 12:10:07 CET 2008

On Fri, 18 Jan 2008, Guillermo Martínez Jiménez wrote:

> Hello everybody.
>
> Recently I asked myself if Free Pascal has support for ncurses and
> I've found it as an extra package.
>
> I've take a peek at the ncurses.pp file and I've found it uses a lot
> of external functions. That means this package will not compile on
> platforms that haven't a previous ncurses implementation (NDS,
> GP32/2X, etc.). I think if the ncurses package uses the RTL (Crt,
> keyboard, gpm, etc.) it would be more portable, if the platform can't
> support Crt, keyboard, mouse, etc. they can be emulated.
>
> Then I decided to write my own ncurses.pp alternative using only the
> RTL. I will not claim "official declaration" or support, and may be it
> will not be so complete and successful as Michael Van Canneyt's
> implementation, but any comment or advice will be welcome.

To be clear:

The point of the ncurses package in FPC is to allow you to use the official
ncurses library. It does not implement any functionality by itself,
it is just a translation of the C header files to pascal.

Writing your own pascal-only ncurses is of course something that can be
done, but this is a different goal...

Michael.