[fpc-pascal] Accessing ROM BIOS Font in Linux.

Vinzent Hoefler JeLlyFish.software at gmx.net
Thu Jan 17 11:48:25 CET 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008 01:27, Anthonyh63 at comcast.net wrote:

> The question.   Is this font accessible from linux; do I have
> to be root ?

Yes. Yes.

"/dev/mem" should be the raw memory device (where even the BIOS "image"
can be read from), but this device which is only accessible to root.

> How do I make the 16 bit segment/offset address
> into a 32 bit pointer to access these fonts ?

The same as in the old days: Multiply the segment with 16 and add the
offset, which gives you the 32 bit (absolute/physical) address. This is
basically the offset into the "/dev/mem" device file and thus can be
fed to the (f)seek...

Vinzent.