[fpc-pascal] Extension .pp or .pas

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Fri Jan 11 16:41:27 CET 2008

On Fri, 11 Jan 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> As far as I know .pp is the old 'classical' file extension.  .pas is
> the new more widely know (I think) extension for Object Pascal.  I
> prefer .pas personally.

There is nothing 'classical' or 'new' about either extension.

.pp was in accordance with unix standards.
.pas was in use for dos/windows by Borland (tp/delphi).

FPC normally uses .pp

This allows you to make a distinction when you have lazarus/delphi
installed: .pp opens with lazarus, .pas with delphi.

Michael.