[fpc-pascal] FPC for virtual machines?

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Thu Feb 7 10:55:29 CET 2008

Jonas Maebe wrote:

> On 06 Feb 2008, at 22:48, Marco Alvarado wrote:
>
>> I'd love to create compilers for those virtual
>> platforms.
>
> Java will be hard, because it doesn't support plain pointers. I don't
> known ActionScript. Anyway, you're welcome to try :)

Flash is a virtual machine. Flash 9 is a complete re-write. There are
Flash assemblers available. Flash doesn't use "ActionScript"* at run
tme, the code is compiled to bytecode, just like Java.

As a proof of concept (and interesting aside) see:
http://community.netikatech.com/faq/ - it's a C# compiler targeting
Flash (well, and Silverlight..)

* I believe is *is* possible to dynamically compile Action Script, and
the older Flash runtimes were tied to Action Script more than Flash 9.
Dunno, I just dabbled with Goa (as a pretty much full time C#
programmer) and have used Flex 2 and Flex Builder (which is actually a
really cool platform.)