[fpc-pascal] My favourite missing feature

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Wed Dec 24 11:56:04 CET 2008

> To use grep, sed, awk, or a text editor effectively, one must
> understand regular expressions.

Maybe. I never used them (except a text editor of course). Everything
you can do with these tools is also possible with a good Pascal compiler
(and much more). So why waste time on learning another language that is
only a subset of the language you already know?

> Anyone who doesn't, isn't a power user.

Just the opposite. All the time you utilize on learning Regex could have
been better invested in learning Pascal even better.

> To refuse to learn regular expressions because they are cryptic
> before you learn them is like refusing to learn English because
> it is cryptic before you learn it.

No. The metaphor for learnig Regex would be that you try to learn yet
another foreign language (addtionally to English) so that you have less
time learning English.

Jürgen Hestermann.