[fpc-pascal] TListBox bug in LCL of Lazarus?

Jürgen Hestermann juergen.hestermann at gmx.de
Sun Dec 21 19:19:45 CET 2008

>>> Maybe we should consider removing the convert from the IDE, if it
>>> misleads more than helps.
>> I don't think so, it's better than nothing. The problem is, that there
>> are more pitfalls than the conversion routine handles (can handle?).
> Yes, and until that is fixed, it may be better to remove it, so we don't
> get such long threads and to spare you debug time.

But how would that avoid the confusion? Just the opposite. It would add
even more because the conversion avoids at least some of the problems.

The main problem realy is, that (some!) stings are completely omitted
when they are Ansi where UTF-8 is needed. If I do it the other way round
(convert my code to UTF-8 and use these strings for RTL routines) I
immediately see that something is wrong with the encoding ("funny"
characters are displayed). But when nothing is displayed I have no idea
why that happens.

> I think it should be simple: LCL UTF8, RTL Ansi.
> Where is this messagebox call defined?

That's the correct question. How do I know which routine is from where?
And why am I forced to think about such things when programming? In
Delphi I am not.

Jürgen Hestermann.