[fpc-pascal] Re: Embarcadero/CodeGear officialy interested in Firebird and on native versions of Delphi for other operating systems ...

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Dec 9 11:51:17 CET 2008

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> On Tue, Dec 9, 2008 at 12:13 PM, Michael Van Canneyt
> <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:
> >>
> >> They keep going on about the .NET dependency justification in the IDE,
> >> saying they didn't want to reinvent the wheel!
> >
> > What kind of nonsense is that ? What does .NET dependency in the IDE
> > have to do with reinventing the wheel ? Does .NET come with a complete
> > code refactoring assembly, written in C# by Microsoft or what ?
> >
> > Assuming they wrote the IDE (and thus code refactoring) themselves,
> > what is the problem to compile it as native code and get rid of .NET
> > dependencies in the IDE ?
>
> I didn't get into it much, but many developers are upset about the
> .NET dependency in the IDE in last few Delphi releases. Now they can't
> run the Delphi IDE via WINE, which apparently many of them did for
> Delphi 7 etc...
>
> CodeGear staff mentioned reusing refactoring features of the .NET
> framework in the IDE and some other stuff for the editor etc...

I don't believe this argument for a second.

1. .NET has no knowledge of Pascal, so how can it be used to refactor pascal ?
2. The IDE - prior to .NET - already had extensive codetools, I would be
   surprised to learn that they couldn't implement the 2 or 3 things that
   "required" .NET using their own codetools... Reversing this argument
   would mean that they admit that their own codetools are a lot of junk ?

Either way, the .NET dependency IS a big hindrance for a lot of their clients,
and obviously they are (again) not listening. But what else is new ?

Michael.