[fpc-pascal] Re: Embarcadero/CodeGear officialy interested in Firebird and on native versions of Delphi for other operating systems ...

bisma at brawijaya.ac.id bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Tue Dec 9 04:33:28 CET 2008

> something i just read at http://www.firebirdnews.org and in Marco
> Cantu's blog ( http://blog.marcocantu.com/blog/coderage_2008_closing
> .html)

Sometimes I just understand those guys. Delphi (as language) by support of
FreePascal and Lazarus had been already on Mac and Linux since years!
Especially since Lazarus supported GTK2 on Linux and Carbon on Mac. Why are
they still busy with other alternatives (Mono/.Net, Java, RealBasic, Ruby,
XCode, etc) while what they had been dreaming about is right before their
eyes. Yes, FPC and Lazarus is not perfect, but what is?!

FPC's FCL and Lazarus' LCL is very much similar and compatible with Delphi's
(as product) VCL. Having single codebase for different platforms and OSes is
not that hard, though in some special cases it can't be 100% single codebase
but it can be solved easily using IFDEFs.

Some people (mostly people in this list) have been using Delphi (as
language) on more than 16 platforms (including mobile devices), yet they are
(Codegear/Embarcadero fan boys) still dreaming about it. My very deep
condolence goes to them. :)

 -Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com