[fpc-pascal] Installing on Mac OS X

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun Aug 31 14:42:06 CEST 2008

On 31 Aug 2008, at 13:30, Paul wrote:

> I had installed Lazarus also, but I can't find it either.

In the Finder, type cmd-shift-g (or menu Go and then "Go to
Folder..."), and type /usr/local/share/lazarus. You should find the
Lazarus application there. The reason that you don't find stuff
located there by default via the GUI (you can use an advanced search
to also search those locations), is that regular applications are not
supposed to be installed there. Only Unix-based stuff lives there
normally, and people using that normally use the command line.

> I'll need to buy a book 'using Mac OS/X' first, the doc shipped with
> the iMac are .. nothing.
> Maybe there is a userguide.pdf available, but studying from a screen
> is not my kind of thing.

Such books are unlikely help you with getting Lazarus running, as
Lazarus does not (yet) behave like any other Mac app in many respects
(it's currently a hybrid combining various Windows, Unix and some Mac
conventions in different areas). That said, a book that focusses on
the Unix-underpinnings of Mac OS X would certainly be useful if you
have no prior Linux/Unix-experience.

Jonas