[fpc-pascal] Re: Why this evaluates on "if" wrong ? (more pi fun)

Tom Verhoeff T.Verhoeff at tue.nl
Wed Oct 31 11:04:59 CET 2007

On Tue, Oct 30, 2007 at 07:36:39PM +0200, Musan Antal wrote:
> The discussion about PI reminds me another funny quote:
>
> The primary purpose of the DATA statement is to give names to
> constants; instead of referring to pi as 3.141592653589793 at every
> appearance, the variable PI can be given that value with a DATA
> statement and used instead of the longer form of the constant.  This
> also simplifies modifying the program, should the value of pi change.
>                 -- FORTRAN manual for Xerox Computers

Here is another funny pi quote (appearing in a footnote in a book on
VLSI design):

	"pi = sqrt(10) for small values of pi"

With apologies for the increasing off-topicness,

	Tom
--
E-MAIL: T.Verhoeff @ TUE.NL     | Dept. of Math. & Comp. Science
PHONE:  +31 40 247 41 25        | Technische Universiteit Eindhoven