[fpc-pascal] D language and Object Pascal

Matt Emson memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Thu Oct 11 11:09:01 CEST 2007

Marco Ciampa wrote:
> Yes, it's so sad to see people that waste time reinventing the wheel...

To be fair to Walter, you have to look at his history. He wrote a lot of
different compiler implementations over the years - this is pretty much
what he's been doing *since* the time of Turbo Pascal. He was
responsible for the Symantec C++ compiler, which has a lineage back to
some old DOS compiler that was either the first or at least one of the
first to implement C++ outside of the original implementation (the
parser that parsed to plain C.) He also wrote the native Java compiler
from the Visual Cafe for Windows product line (very nice compiler for
its time.) Digital Mars C++ has a direct line back to Symantec C++ IIRC.

So D is Walter's, "done a lot of C style syntaxed compilers, but now I
want one I actually like myself" trip. You need to forgive him for that.
He was writing compilers when Florian was at Grade school ;-)