[fpc-pascal] i386-darwin -> powerpc-darwin crash

Vincent Snijders vsnijders at quicknet.nl
Wed May 9 22:38:35 CEST 2007

Jonas Maebe schreef:

> On 09 May 2007, at 19:59, Vincent Snijders wrote:
>
>> I tried to create powerpc units for the lcl on an intelmac, but the
>> compiler crashes. Is this a known issue?
>
> The compiler is trying to use RTL/packages units compiled by a native
> ppc compiler (most likely the ones globally installed on the system).
> Those cannot be used by a little->big endian cross compiler. Try instead
> something like this:
>
> make OPT="-n -Fu~/fpcinst/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.1.4/units/powerpc-darwin/*
> -O2 -vei -ap" FPC=~/fpcinst/usr/local/lib/fpc/2.1.4/ppcppc clean all

Thanks for guiding me in the right direction. What actually happened is
that I created a native powerpc compiler (because I had set
crossinstall=1 on the make all command) and used that native compiler to
create my units. Now I am using the ppcrossppc (renamed to ppcppc) and
things are working.

> PS: note that if you're doing this on mischi's iMac, it won't work when
> linking:
> /usr/bin/powerpc-darwin-ld: warning /sw/lib//libglib-1.2.0.dylib cputype
> (7, architecture i386) does not match cputype (18) for specified -arch
> flag: ppc (file not loaded)

That is not a problem, because I only provide lcl and related compiled
units. This should be enough for people who have the right libraries to
cross compile their applications. It does mean of course, I cannot test it.

Vincent