[fpc-pascal] libsndfile library

Tiziano_mk tizzziano at tiscali.it
Mon May 7 09:29:59 CEST 2007

The real question is "How to play a sound file on Linux in the same way
I can do it on windows?".

this is my experience:

On Windows I do:

uses mmsystem
sndPlaySound('filename.wav',0);

and it works gracefully.

On Linux I found only the sndfile unit (packages\extra\sndfile\).

This require the presence of sndlife library on the distribution.

In my PC I have Ubuntu 6.06 with libsndfile installed (dynamic library
only):

/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1.0.12
/usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1

So, I try to compile the example sfplay.pp, and after some corrections
it compiles but after that the linker stops with the infamous message:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lsndfile
sound.pas(34,1) Error: Error while linking

(note: the -Fl statements in fpc.cfg are tuned on /usr/ and /usr/lib/ so
the real problem is that I don't have the static library)

There is a chance to have my program linked on a system where I only
have the Dynamic Libray?

thanks
tiziano