[fpc-pascal] CGI (with Free Pascal) vs PHP

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Tue Mar 6 16:00:40 CET 2007

> Now Pascal has its defficiencies in web programming too. CGI programming
> tends not to be very scalable, allthough it compensates by raw
> performance. The trouble is when databases come in, connection pooling is
> almost impossible to achieve with CGI.

I'm not quite agree with this. CGI programming without a solid framework indeed
is not very scalable. But that's not the case if you have a good designed CGI
framework. Even database connection pooling is not that hard to do when you have
a good CGI framework. Maybe it sounds rather complex and complicated when we're
talking about "framework", but as it exists, CGI programming would be as
scalable as VCL/LCL based desktop applications.

> PHP got its social contacts right, causing many people to evangelise it.
> Further, besdides that it was easy to learn, had good documentation, and
> due to the work of Linux distributions, easy to set up and get running.

Agree. This is pretty similar to why C is more popular then pascal. It's simply
historical reason, C is born and used before pascal is good enough to compete
with C. And the more popular a thing (especially software) the more difficult to
be replaced even with something better.

> ... and if you learn a language, you'd better learn a good one :)

Totally agree. If I can do almost anything using Pascal, why should I learn
another language? ;)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com