[fpc-pascal] CGI (with Free Pascal) vs PHP

Florian Klaempfl florian at freepascal.org
Tue Mar 6 11:41:22 CET 2007

Graeme Geldenhuys schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> If you where planning on writing a new online inventory system with a
> Firebird DB as backend. Yes that is what I'm about to do...  What
> would be the best choice of language?
>
> For one I don't know PHP, but was told it is really easy to learn.  I
> know Object Pascal / Delphi very well.
>
> What would be the advantages of one over the other.  Currently when I
> write Free Pascal applications I use tiOPF (Object Persistent
> Framework)  to handle all my object persistence. This also allows me
> to switch DB backends without any code changes.  I guess using CGI
> with Free Pascal I can still take advantage of that.
>
> So 1 point to CGI and 0 to PHP.  :-)

(Pascal) compiler based CGI is magnitudes faster than PHP, less resource
consuming and much easier to maintain. The only advantage of PHP is that
is easier to use for beginners and that's probably the only reason why
PHP is so popular: you can hack quickly something together but
maintainance, performance etc. are nightmares.