[fpc-pascal] Re: fpc-pascal DLLs

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Sat Jun 16 13:41:06 CEST 2007

Op Sat, 16 Jun 2007, schreef Dr:

> Please tell me whether FPC Pascal makes DOS ( DPMI ) "protected mode" DLL and
> EXE files, that is, a DLL ( called by a DPMI EXE ) that runs on DOS, even if
> there is NO Windows at all on my machine????

DLLs no, EXEs yes. You can load dxe files (the go32 variant of a DLL)
using the dxeload unit.

> Also, can it make "16 bit DPMI" EXE and DLL  files in DOS, or is its DOS
> extender limited to only making 32 bit DPMI files?

Free Pascal is 32/64 bit, so the answer is no, you cannot build 16 bit
DPMI files.

> Also, does FPC Pascal make any type of DOS Overlays?

No, since it can use virtual memory there is not need for overlays.

> That is, a Real Mode ( 16 bit )  Overlay compiled program, this would be like
> the BP 7.01 EXE that calls an OVR file, which, itself can be as big as maybe
> 16MB.

Overlays were an extremely limited way of having virtual memory, though
there were very usefull to squeeze things in 640K. I doubt your current
computer has a 640K memory limit, therefore you have no need to use such
primitive tools.

Daniël