[fpc-pascal] installing latest stable

pineal pi.neal at virgin.net
Sun Jun 10 20:47:58 CEST 2007

On Sunday 10 June 2007 13:20, Daniël Mantione wrote:

> > > The source RPM installs an archive file in /usr/src/packages/SOURCES
> > > you must unpack this archive yourself. This is standard behaviour for
> > > RPM.
> >
> > No it doesn't. That's why I stated the source doesn't install anything.
> > Due to the problems I looked in the install script and found a reference
> > to /src (which I guessed is appended to the main install dir /usr) and
> > looked there too, but nothing is installed. There is no packages
> > directory created.
>
> /usr/src/packages/SOURCES should already exist. If it doesn't your system
> uses a non standard RPM location; you will find the source in this non
> standard location in such case.
>
> > > That is because it does not install the sources. The .tar.gz does not
> > > contain the sources: it would more than double the size. The sources
> > > are available as a separate download.
> > >
> > > Michael.
> >
> > According to the downloads page the .tar is one big file with "everything
> > in 1 big package", or the other options are .rpm files. There is no tar
> > for just the sources.
>
> On http://www.freepascal.org/download.var, there is a link to the sources
> download, and yes, it is a tar.
>
> > I did extract the source tar from the source rpm, but I don't know where
> > it should be installed. Previously fpcsrc was installed in
> > /usr/share/fpcsrc, if that is now different, shouldn't a change such as
> > this be documented?
>
> Install it wherever you like, the compiler doesn't look for the sources
> during normal operation. I suggest $HOME/fpcsource.
>
> Daniël

Hi Daniel,

OK, I finally found the src tar mentioned and it contains everything by the
looks of it, including an install script so I shall remove everything so far
and try a fresh install from this.

*But*, please note when I stated nothing was installed from the source rpm
file, it did not get put somewhere else,  *nothing* was installed!

neal.