[fpc-pascal] Web Service Toolkit - Notify the Client

John Coppens john at jcoppens.com
Sun Jun 3 19:16:58 CEST 2007

On Sun, 3 Jun 2007 16:55:23 +0200 (CEST)
Michael Van Canneyt <michael at freepascal.org> wrote:

> > Is it possible to delay a SOAP call a few seconds at the service
> > provider (until new data is available)? Hmm, this reveals the question
> > what are the timeouts for TCP/IP connection and for the web services?
>
> I think a few seconds are possible, a timeout is usually longer than
> that. The webservices do not specify any values for timeouts. I'm not
> sure whether the HTTP protocol has such definitions, but I would be
> surprised if it had.

If using the HTTP protocol, it's possible to define a refresh time of x
seconds using a meta-tag:

<META HTTP-EQUIV="refresh"
   CONTENT="3;URL='http://www.homepage.com/spot3.html'">

This is quite popular with webcams and such. But this is of course not
the definition of a timeout value, you would have to know when the next
value is due.

John