[fpc-pascal] msedb and fcl-db benchmarks

Joost van der Sluis joost at cnoc.nl
Tue Jul 17 20:09:01 CEST 2007

On Tue, 2007-07-17 at 19:58 +0200, Coco Pascal wrote:
> Joost van der Sluis wrote:
> > Discussion: What tests could I do more? Is there something I overlooked?
> >
> To me it seems that benchmark tests on 100000 records are missing
> relevance more and more.

Offcourse, but it has some usefull results.

> I'm interested in responsiveness in n-tier solutions: opening connection
> - begin transaction - quering/updating mostly 1 or a few records -
> commit transaction - close connection - browsing a small (<50) set of
> records .  Opening /closing connections could be skipped in this context
> when a connectionpool is used.

I did those tests quickly. There wasn't any difference between the two.
But compared to time the open/close takes, you can't measure the browse
speed if you use only 50 records. So to test the browse speed, I simply
used more records. (Also not fool-proof, but that wasn't my intention)

> Also I'm interested in tests selecting/updating/browsing sets larger
> than 1 million records, obviously local.

That's simple, adapt the amount of records that is created, and then
call the edit-field tests.

> Consequently one could ask if one type of dataset could satisfy
> requirements regarding performance and use of resources in both cases.

I think you can. Unless you want to edit all 1 million records. (as I
told in my last message)

It becomes different if you only need to browse one way through the
records. (or, obviously, you have a dataset with only one record as
result)

Or can you explain to me how you can make a dataset faster for usage
with more records, and at the same time slow it down for low
recordcounts? (or the other way around)

Regards,
  Joost.