[fpc-pascal] Linux Kernel and FPC

Micha Nelissen micha at neli.hopto.org
Sat Jul 7 19:37:31 CEST 2007

Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
>> And I was thinking in implementing it using FPC.
>> My question is, how hard can it be ?
>
> Relatively hard: you must write a complete RTL for it.
> Once that is done, the rest should be easy.

I don't think you would want to use a regular pascal RTL in a kernel
module. I'd say "just" translate the kernel C headers for interfacing,
and arrange the linking process to work well. Compile without system
unit. Use mode fpc to prevent usage of objpas unit, although perhaps it
doesn't have real dependencies on system unit. Disadvantage of linux
kernel is that its API changes a little bit with each release, so
keeping the bindings up to date may require more maintenance than other
libraries.

Micha