[fpc-pascal] Documentation for sqldb - More Questions

Michael Van Canneyt michael.vancanneyt at wisa.be
Tue Jul 3 12:57:29 CEST 2007

On Tue, 3 Jul 2007, Martin Schreiber wrote:

> On Tuesday 03 July 2007 11.36, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> >
> > Why don't you contribute the database code to the FCL ? This way, everybody
> > benefits from it. It's non-visual code, so it can perfectly be separated
> > out.
> >
> It depends on the completely rewritten tmsebufdataset, if you want to use the
> MSEgui DB components you need to to replace TBufDataset with tmsebufdataset
> and the SQL connection components need to be patched.

So in fact, you are duplicating SQLDB. Judging from your website, you even
used the lazarus icons for the components.
(this is ok, just a constatation)

> The development speed of MSEide+MSEgui is too fast that I could depend for DB
> code on FCL with the difficult and time consuming FPC coordination process
> for bug fixes and changes. Another problem is that I am not bound to Delphi
> compatibility so I don't think that my code will be accepted by the FPC team.

Since SQLDB is in no way connected to Delphi, so you're free to do as you
please, as long as it descends from TDataset ?

The coordination process would be non-existent, because I would
give you direct access to the FCL subversion. As long as you follow the
rules for the merging of fixes to fixbranches there is no problem.

In fact there would be less problems, as fixes would be tested sooner/better
and would make it to the fixes branch easier. With the new packaging system
which will be in effect after 2.2, the FCL can be released on a more regular
basis.

> Feel free to integrate any MSEgui code which you will find useful into
> FCL. :-)

I'd rather see that the whole is coordinated a bit. I don't think all this
duplication is a good idea; One solid set of components makes much more
sense: the number of developers available for it's maintenance would double.
The end user would also benefit, as we can give 1 solid set of components,
no doubts possible.

There are not so many people available who understand the inner workings
of TDataset and friends, so all this scattering and dividing is
counterproductive.

It would be much better if you, me, Joost and Bram (who work on SQLDB)
had a single set of components to work with: speed would not be an issue
then, and we could guarantee a working and reliable set of components for
everyone.

Michael.