[fpc-pascal] FPC in DOS environment

Pierre Muller pierre at freepascal.org
Tue Jan 16 12:41:47 CET 2007

> i use DOS regularly (right this moment, my 'lab' got messed up by a
> foreign
> handand i lost a AT power supply so no old PC running; this will get fixed
> today)
>
> i will do my best to make it up to date and to help Pierre

 The current 2.0 fixes branch should be more
 stable.

  Could you please try to download and install
ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/v20/i386-go32v2/fpc-2.0.5dos.zip
  The file datestamp should be January 15. 2007,
or later.
  Let's say that you unpack this into
  /pas/snp205 directory.
  he snapshot ppc386 will then be in
  /pas/snp205/bin/go32v2 directory.

  Unzip the file and test the IDE,
by compliling and stepping through a simple source.
(like the ide/test.pas file).

  Please report if this is working OK for you,
or any problems you might encounter.

  A second step would be to recompile the IDE
 from the current 2.0.5 sources, with debugger information.

  First download and install
ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/snapshot/v20/source/fpcbuild.zip
  You will also need to download and install the GDB libraries:
the zip file is:
ftp://ftpmaster.freepascal.org/pub/fpc/contrib/libgdb/v6.1.1/go32v2-v601.zip

  Unzip all librairies (lib*.a files)
into \pas\libgdb\go32v2 for example

change to fpcbuild/fpsrc/ide directory

  You need to inform where the GDB librairies are,
  for this you will need to set GDBLIBDIR variable.

set GDBLIBDIR=/pas/ligdb/go32v2
  should work for this.

  After this, you will need to recompile several directories

  make -C ../rtl DEBUG=1
  make -C ../packages/base/graph DEBUG=1
  make -C ../packages/base/regexpr DEBUG=1
  make -C ../packages/base/gdbint DEBUG=1
  make -C ../fv DEBUG=1
  make clean all DEBUG=1  OPT=-gl

  If everything works fine, you should have at that point a
  fp.exe file that is about 10Mb in size.

  The problem for me, (I am stick for the moment on a windows 2000
  computer), is that the IDE tends to crash randomly, but I don't know
  if it comes from the IDE or from the poor Dos emulation
  of Windows 2000...

  Tell me if you succeed in compiling this and if
the generated IDE is usable, or gives you useful information
when crashing (the -gl option, should create a verbose stack
on crashes).

  Thanks for trying this out,

  By the way, testers for emx, os/2 or wdosx targets would also
be most welcomed,

Pierre