[fpc-pascal] Some features I use daily in FPC I hope never go away!

Daniël Mantione daniel.mantione at freepascal.org
Thu Feb 22 20:15:06 CET 2007

Op Thu, 22 Feb 2007, schreef Jason P Sage:

> I Hope the following never goes away - I use this stuff all the time!
>
> Types
> -----
> Cardinal, Pointer, Integer
> Always evaluate to the endian in use.
> SizeOf(Cardinal)=SizeOf(Pointer)=SizeOf(Integer)

This isn't true:
* Cardinal: is always an unsigned 32-bit integer
* Pointer: can be 32-bit or 64-bit depending on processor
* Integer: is a signed 16-bit or 32-bit integer depending on compiler mode

> I just wanted to share that - and how much I love these abilities in FPC to
> date. I hope this "raw power" stays available. Its basically fancy pointer
> math - but - its nicer than c/c++ way - and shows how you can do all the
> C/C++ dirty pointer tricks - rather cleanly in free pascal.

Did we announce plans to disable it? :) No, in general we don't remove
functionality, especially if it is usefull. So, don't worry.

Daniël