[fpc-pascal] support for FreeBSD4 broken in fpc 2.0.4

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Fri Feb 9 06:21:12 CET 2007

Am Dienstag, den 06.02.2007, 09:09 +0100 schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> > Am Sonntag, den 28.01.2007, 22:55 +0100 schrieb Marco van de Voort:
> > (verified by compiling lazarus). The missing link from the start on was
> > the -Xf switch and a clean de- and reinstallation.
> >
> > So I'm happy but there are some small questions left:
> >
> > What about the other two items
> >
> > fpc/share/src/fpc-2.0.4/rtl/freebsd/i386/gprt0.as
> > fpc/share/src/fpc-2.0.4/rtl/freebsd/i386/prt0.as
> >
> > Do they have to be fetched from 2.0.2, too?
> > What are they good for?
>
> gprt is for profiling.
> prt  is the default startup. (when NOT linking to libc).
>
> Since the changes are for libc differences, prt0 shouldn't need much
> modification, probably the only "new" thing is upping the version number
> (diff the two)
>
> gprt is for profiling, and hasn't been adapted to 5+

So in general I'm happy with the way it is, since I only have to keep
alive some existing Installations on embedded systems (bugfixing if
necessary). The new stuff is planned to work on FreeBSD 6 and FreeBSD 4
has reached is official end of life.

If noone else has a deep need I personally see no reason for putting
more work into making fpc runnable on FreeBSD4. Even when no
bootstrapping compiler is available a cross platform build with swapping
cprt0.as should be possible.

Marc