[fpc-pascal] special numbers detected by val()

Marc Santhoff M.Santhoff at t-online.de
Sun Aug 26 21:33:27 CEST 2007

Am Sonntag, den 26.08.2007, 13:43 -0300 schrieb Joao Morais:
> Marc Santhoff wrote:
> > I want to read in text files containing matrix data. The data is
> > organized in rectangular manner, but some places are not valid because
> > they are from physical measurements at places that are not reachable by
> > any instrument.
> >
> > In this data files I have to use a convention to detect this invalid
> > spots.
> >
> > My idea was to uses the string "NaN" or the like because anything else
> > would narrow the range of input values (e.g. using -999 or similar for
> > expressing the special case). If val could handle this itself, I'd not
> > have to write any parsing code.
>
> You can implement your own data type (eg as a class) and include some
> flags as IsNull, IsEmpty, etc.

I would, but it wouldn't fit the existing program that is intended to
use these values.

I simply made a new procedure that evaluates the special strings and
calls system.val() if none is found. Once these values are parsed "NaN"
and "Infinity" can be used as float values. So far this seems to work
and gives a good source for exceptions, too.

Thank you and thanks to Jonas for answering quickly,
Marc