[fpc-pascal] Re: [lazarus] HelloWorld: gdb.exe crashes

memsom memsom at interalpha.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 16:09:01 CEST 2007

> Delphi 2007 is not even beta, it's a bug, ripe to be squashed.

YMMV. I beg to differ.

> Use tab characters and you don't need a code convertor.
> All you need to do is change tab widths to whatever you like.

No.. this causes more issues. If you use tabs you will invariably get
mixed tab/space files. Especially on a large development team ~20+
developers. Lowest common denominator always wins out. Beleieve me, I see
it regularly.

> Mixing tabs with spaces might make a mess.

Yes.. if you select "use spaces for tabs" (or similar) Delphi will, um...
use spaces instead of tabs. Whenever you "tab" you get spaces.

My biggest issue with using the tab character is that it breeds
inconsistant coding standards amoungst different projects within an
organisation. Sharing code becomes painful.

> Use tabs only is best.

That is impossible, because you can't map the space bar to use "tabs" in
any IDE I've used recently - so you have to completely change your
mind-set when typing code and typing real language. If you absolutely
*must* use the tab key, standardize the indent, set everyone's config the
same.

> If somebody really made a mess of things then he didn't know what he was
> doing :)

If that is your opinion - you're welcome to it. I hope you can support
your own code. Good luck on that. If your coding is anything like your web
design skills, I really don't hold out too much hope for you ;-)

Okay - I censor myself. Any more responses to the *LIST* will be ignored.
Please email me directly if you want to talk further.