[fpc-pascal] OT: Rename for Pascal

Tom Walsh tom at openhardware.net
Mon Aug 13 16:00:19 CEST 2007

Bisma Jayadi wrote:
>> This project is with a company that just spent 4+ million USD on a
>> Java solution (client and server side) to replace all their old
>> Pascal code, then, their clients told them they didn't like the Java
>> solution, that they wanted to keep using the Pascal stuff!
>
> Isn't Java also free? :-P

The point is that the compiler is not "free", it is encumbered by a
license.  People are gaining the idea that Open Source generally equates
with "free" (as in no-expense).  However, in American English, the word
"free" generally means "something of so little value that you can afford
to give it away".  Perhaps in German it has a different connotation, or
in British English...

Regards,

TomW

http://openhardware.net http://cyberiansoftware.com http://openzipit.org