[fpc-pascal] OT: Rename for Pascal

Bisma Jayadi bisma at brawijaya.ac.id
Mon Aug 13 02:57:15 CEST 2007

> So I believe that if we will change the name, it might help.

This kind of topic had been arised a few times. Basically I agree with this
idea if it means we should change the name of the compiler, not the name of
the language itself.

We just can't change the language name, just like what Jonas had said, it's
just simply (object) pascal. However, we could learn from Borland that named
their IDE as "Delphi" though it still uses object pascal language. Or learn
from SUN, that named their language as "Java" though it's pretty another
variant of C++.

Somehow good names are able to bring lucks and bussiness people just love
good names (they called them as "marketable"). :D

> What do you think ? And what name will you prefer to see FPC as ?

I don't have good ideas, yet. But it should able to reflect FreePascal very
well, like fast, cross platform, free, etc. Puma sounds nice, but we must
open for other alternatives. ;)

-Bee-

has Bee.ography at:
http://beeography.wordpress.com