[fpc-pascal] Re: Threads executing in sequence instead of parallel

Graeme Geldenhuys graemeg.lists at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 09:24:32 CEST 2006

On 29/09/06, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> All gui stuff I run on windows. Non visual test apps, I can run on linux too.
>
> If I really want I could do GUI in linux too, but I don't know too much about gtk
> and I rather spent time on improving things on the windows platform.

No problem - maybe someone else in the mailing will spot this and try
it under Linux with a GUI.  Please post your results if you read this.

> I thought in your initial mail your were talking about having a console test app
> with threads. Synchronize is harder then, because you have to call CheckSynchronize
> yourself.

Yes, after the Sort Demo didn't work, I looked for test apps based on
threads supplied with FPC.  I found one in the fcl/tests directory.
It didn't run as advertised of my system either. Not a great demo
though.  I will try and knock up a better console demo and see if it
still does what the GUI Sort demo does.  I just need a good idea for a
console demo.

So far all my tests point to a problem with FPC compiled apps and
threading under Linux. Kylix 3 apps using threading works fine as
well.

Regards,
  - Graeme -