[fpc-pascal] fpdoc automation help

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Sep 14 17:25:57 CEST 2006

On Thu, 14 Sep 2006, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I am trying to setup some script(s) or a Makefile (if I can) to handle
> the documentation of tiOPF (open source project I work on and core of
> our projects).
>
> * How does FPC handle the creation of html output using fpdoc?  From
> what I can see it looks like everything is handled in a single
> Makefile.fpc  (quite complex but guess it work well)

I'm not sure I understand the question ? Are you referring to the
makefile.fpc in the docs dir ?

> * How does it handle updates to the source code, without overwriting
> existing *.xml files.

Makeskel accepts an output parameter. Make sure it is not equal to
the input file...

> * If running makeskel in update mode, how do you combine that *.xml
> file to the existing description *.xml file?

Copy and paste.

It cannot be done automatically, because the file is not perfect:
e.g. presence of unit reference elements is not correctly processed.

In theory, you could make a mergefpdoc program which merges 2
documents. I just didn't get around to doing it.

> * Is all the above done in some nightly event (automagically)...?

No, but it could be done.

> So far I have created the following directory layout.  I can only
> modify the Docs directory, the others are cast in stone.  I had a look
> at the Lazarus docs layout as well, for some ideas.  If I could
> automate the creation and updating of docs in some nightly event, it
> would be a perfect world! ;-)

If you can write the 'mergefpdoc' program, then it should be possible
to automate everything.

Michael.