[fpc-pascal] .NET FAQ

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 3 19:29:18 CEST 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho wrote:

> About .NET and LLVM, they donĀ“t seam to add anything Free Pascal
> already cannot do.
>
> We should also think it may be inevitable to write a .NET port in the
> very long future (10 years?), if microsoft decides to obsolete windows
> api by that time.

They cannot. Most existing software would no longer work. And people
are not eager to upgrade. Why would they ? Windows XP or Vista bring
nothing new. No-one is waiting for it.

At my company, we still have a huge number of clients running Windows
95, who protest loudly when we even _suggest_ upgrading.

Which is not to say that we should not look at a .NET port of FPC, but
this is not very high on the priority list. After all, .NET offers no
advantages by itself.

Michael.