[fpc-pascal] Last missing benchmark: regex-dna

Krishna v.krishnakumar at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 11:48:35 CEST 2006

On 10/3/06, Vincent Snijders <vsnijders at quicknet.nl> wrote:
> The regex-dna benchmark
> (http://shootout.alioth.debian.org/debian/benchmark.php?test=regexdna&lang=all) is
> the last missing benchmark.
>
> Although fpc has a regexpr unit:
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/fpc/trunk/packages/base/regexpr/regexpr.pp
> It has many todos, such as adding support for | in the search expression. So this
> unit doesn't have enough functionality. Is somebody willing to invest time in this
> unit to complete it?
>
> An alternative could be to use the libc unit. But the fpc developers don't encourage
> its use and I cannot use it on windows, where I develop and improve the tests.
>
> Then there is also synregexpr.pas:
> http://svn.freepascal.org/svn/lazarus/trunk/components/synedit/synregexpr.pas
> But that is not distrubuted with fpc. And I don't know, if the license is open
> source. Is it looks likes a BSD derivative, but item 3, about income, doesn't seem
> to fit in.
>
> How should this benchmark be implemented?

How about using PCRE? I've used Delphi bindings before and they are
quite nice. I guess it should compile with FPC out of the box.

This is the one I used: http://www.renatomancuso.com/software/dpcre/dpcre.htm

Cheers,
Krishna
--
I long to accomplish a great and noble task, but it is my chief duty
to accomplish small tasks as if they were great and noble !