[fpc-pascal] Object pascal a "Modern Language"

Matt Henley nwmatt at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 22:24:11 CET 2006

Please note that I am advocating Lazarus for the project.. I was
responding to the project leader's (defacto at this point) call for
pros and cons of each language.  I and one other gentleman suggested
FPC/Lazarus.  I posted here precisely because I do not know what
constitutes a "modern" language.  I am not a programmer, just a
chemical engineer who has done a lot of programming (mostly in
Fortran), but who switched to delphi -> kylix -> Lazarus for my own
projects.

This is a community project... no companies are currently involved.
The project is a continuation of an existing codebase which was
written in python. Few of the people want to continue it in Python.
Several want to use C#.  Two of us know and love Lazarus.

The application would involve calculations, database access, and a
graphical user interface (visio like diagramming interface)... for
reference you can look at
http://www.aspentech.com/industry_solutions/oilgas/product.cfm?IndustryID=23&ProductID=274
(scroll down for screen shot)

Thanks for all the input